Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MVD?

I went to see Dr B today. He is an empathetic man. He seems to know the trials and tribulations. We talked about my options since the Tegretol and Neurontin are no longer working. He actually said he didn't feel the Gamma Knife procedure to be the best move. He thinks the potential side effects and cons way outweighed the pros. We discussed medication. As of now, I am on the best medication to treat trigeminal neuralgia, however there are other meds that can be thrown in the ring on top of the two I am taking. There is also MVD. I am scared to death of invasive surgery. But as Dr B points out, I do want to have a life and TN is taking away my ability to function. I personally don't really want to play around with meds right now to try and find the best mix. My husband is missing work for me, other people are taking care of my kids, and I had to miss part of DH's cousin's wedding. I wouldn't be able to hold a job with this. Someday I do want another child and I don't want to be on several medications.

So here's the plan. I am going to have a consultation with a neurosurgeon, Dr C. We are going to discuss the benefits of microvascular decompression. I am not even sure what it's entirely all about so I am going to research a bit and go in with a positive attitude. In the meantime, Dr B has me on an added medication, Topamax. He hopes this will help with at least some of the attacks.

No comments: